Sure we want everyone to feast this Thanksgiving but you have to be careful if you plan on including your pets.

According to petsbest.com, here are six Thanksgiving Foods that could be deadly for your pet.

1. Stuffing

Thanksgiving dressing is often made with onions, scallions or garlic. These ingredients, however, are extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause life-threatening anemia (destruction of the red blood cells). It’s best to avoid feeding any amount of stuffing to pets.

2. Ham

Ham and other pork products can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. Pork is also high in fat, which can lead to obesity in pets. Even a small amount of ham can contribute a very large amount of calories to a small dog or cat’s diet.

3. Turkey Bones

Bones can cause severe indigestion in dogs and cats, potentially causing vomiting and obstructing the bowel. Bones may also splinter and cause damage to the inside of the stomach and intestines. In some cases, turkey bones may even puncture through the stomach and cause a potentially fatal abdominal infection.

4. Mashed Potatoes

While potatoes are safe for pets to eat, mashed potatoes usually contain butter and milk, which can cause diarrhea in lactose intolerant pets. Additionally, some recipes call for onion powder or garlic, which are very toxic to pets.

5. Salads with Grapes/Raisins

There are many salads served at Thanksgiving that include grapes or raisins as an ingredient, from fruit salad to Waldorf salad, to ambrosia. However, grapes and raisins are very virulent and potentially deadly. Grapes can cause severe, irreversible and sometimes fatal kidney failure in dogs. Be sure to keep all dishes that include grapes and raisins away from pets.

6. Chocolate Desserts

While pumpkin pie is the most famous Thanksgiving dessert, many people offer a variety of chocolate desserts at Thanksgiving.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, yet dogs love the smell and taste of it. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Keep all chocolate desserts out of the reach of pets to prevent an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

 

If your pet happens to eat any of these items, be sure to contact your Vet ASAP. Early action could help prevent serious issues from happening.