WalletHub released its 2022 list of cities with the best and worst credit scores. One Western New York town landed very close to the bottom of the list, meaning its residents have pretty bad credit scores.
According to Experian,
On the FICO® Score☉ 8 scale of 300 to 850, one of the credit scores lenders most frequently use, a bad credit score is one below 670. More specifically, a score between 580 and 669 is considered fair, and one between 300 and 579 is poor.
WalletHub studied 2,572 cities in America and looked at the median credit score, according to TransUnion data as of September 2021, in each to develop its ranking,
The median is a numeric value that separates the higher half of a set from the lower half.
Niagara Falls, NY ranked number 2,561 out of 2,572 with a median credit score of 585
So basically, half of the credit scores in Niagara Falls are less than 585, which is only 6 points above a poor credit score.
Investopedia recommends these tips to improve your credit score:
1. Take a look at your credit reports
2. Develop a strategy to pay your bills
3. Try to keep your credit usage at 30 percent or less
4. Limit how much new credit you apply for
5. If you don't have a lot of credit history, use tools to make the most of what you do have
6. Don't close your old credit accounts, but take care of delinquencies
7. Look into consolidating your debts
8. Monitor your credit
Get more details and tips here.