Can You Go To Jail For Speeding In New York?
With the weather warming up, you might be tempted to roll down the windows and drop the top on your ride and go for a fun drive.
Feel Good Mornings With Dave Fields Mon-Fri 6am-10am
Just be careful when it comes to cruising over the speed limit.
WHAT IS THE SPEED LIMIT IN NEW YORK?
It all depends on where you are, but here are the basic speed limits laws in New York. Interstate highways are usually 65 miles per hour, other rural highways are usually 55 miles per hour. Other roads can range from 5 miles per hour to 50 miles per hour.
WHAT ARE THE FINES FOR SPEEDING IN NEW YORK?
Anything over the posted speed limit is considered speeding. Here in New York if you are caught going anywhere between 1 mile per hour over and 10 miles per hour over. You can be fined between $45-$150 dollars.
You can be fined between $90 and $300 if you are caught going between 11 miles per hour and 30 miles per hour over the posted speed limit.
If you are going 31 miles per hour or more over the speed limit you could be fined between $180 and $600 for your first offense.
WHAT POINTS DO I GET ON MY LICENSE IF I AM CAUGHT SPEEDING?
The points are just like fines and they change based on how fast you are going.
- 1 to 10 mph over the posted speed limit will add 3 points to your license.
- 11 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit will add 4 points to your license.
- 21 to 30 mph over the posted speed limit will add 6 points to your license.
- 31 to 40 mph over the posted speed limit will add 8 points to your license.
- 41 mph or more over the posted speed limit will add 11 points to your license, which can result in automatic license suspension.
COULD YOU GO TO JAIL FOR SPEEDING IN NEW YORK?
The answer is yes! While this is VERY rare, the law in the book does allow for a judge to sentence you to jail time for a speeding ticket. If you are caught going 11 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit you could face 15 days in Jail.
So if you plan on going out and about and enjoying a nice long drive just be careful and watch your speed!